Tuesday 1 October 2013

Another Pope Francis Interview Wherein Laurence Decides to Go to Sleep


I hope to have time tomorrow to produce an ambitiously humble (or is that humbly ambitious?) post on Pope Francis's jaw-dropping interview with an Italian atheist. I'm sure its my pride says I need to say something about this. Or is it my love of Holy Mother Church?

I'm not sure at the moment, so I'm just going to say a Rosary for the Pope and go to sleep. Yes. Sleep on it. After all, even if I died tonight, the Pope will still be Pope tomorrow. So good to know some things always stay the same despite living in the madness of the world and in the shadow of death.

I do so love a good sleep. O I do, too much perhaps. That said, I do sometimes have the odd Pope Francis nightmare wherein the Pope sells the entire Vatican art collection and sacred chalices to give the money to the poor or ditches the white cassock and starts walking around in 'civvies'. When I wake up I think, 'O thank God! It was just a dream!'

Then I turn on the computer...

6 comments:

Lynda said...

Awful ideas, that he was obviously anxious to put out into the secular world, as he called the atheist journalist of the atheist newspaper to give him this one-on-one interview. Not "jaw-dropping" at this stage, though, sadly, except to those in denial. My jaw has not dropped since, I think, Holy Thursday and the holding of the Mass in a prison, rather than his diocesan church, for his priests and people of his diocese, and washing young offenders' feet, including girls' and a Muslim's, rather than priests or seminarians for the rite which commemorates the institution of the sacred priesthood. It's past time people stopped blaming the Media and everyone else for "misinterpreting" the Holy Father. It's time to be objective in analysing what he is saying, doing, not saying and not doing. Time to use one's critical faculties once more, and stop thinking that if one denies reality long enough, it'll somehow change reality to how one would like it, or how one would like others to believe it to be. There is so little intellectual honesty in the world, and the same is true for many, if not most, of the public commentators in the Catholic Church, and this among those who claim loyalty to the Magisterium and obedience to the doctrine of Christ's Church. I do not even refer to the majority of baptised who have apostasied and are delighted with what Pope Francis is saying, doing, not saying and not doing. Let us not stop praying (and fasting) for the Church and the Pope. Blessed Michael, the Archangel, defend us in the hour of conflict ...

Pelerin said...

If it's any help to anyone I read yesterday that the English version of the interview was a 'lousy misleading translation.'

Martina Katholik said...

Lynda, I couldn´t agree with you more.

Hermit Crab said...

Courage! Tell it to us like it is ! You are very much needed.

Nicolas Bellord said...

My father used to tell me that there was a monk at Downside who used to ask: "Have you read my book on Humility? It is the best one there is on humility."

Celia said...

The main problem I have with Pope Francis, whom I really have tried to love,is that I can't understand him. He seems incapable of coherent and systematic thought. So I don't know, even after 6 months, if he really intends to say some of the decidedly heterodox stuff he comes out with or if what 'Private Eye', referring to 'Guardian' readers, used to call a 'lively butterfly mind' just lights on a passing idea and comes out with it.

Even if you disagreed with Pope Benedict, you knew that what he said was what he meant and that it was consistent with the Church's teaching. Having written Francis' first encyclical (which I rather suspect Francis hasn't read properly) perhaps he should do his interviews as well.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...