Monday 26 August 2013

Has Change Shattered Our Faith?


The Catholic Church asked itself this question in 1976. The answers it gave were optimistic. Is it time to ask the same question in 2013, when only 75% of those remaining Catholics who didn't walk away in the radical 70s believe  the Real Presence of Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament today?

Read more at The Guild of Blessed Titus Brandsma for a book review of a pamphlet created in the immediate aftermath of the changes that swept through the Church in the wake of the Second Vatican Council. There's an interesting review by another Guild member of some of Mgr Benson's books on the same site. That's right - I'm plugging the Guild. If you are a Catholic blogger faithful to the teaching of the Church, do think of joining.

2 comments:

pelerin said...

I don't remember ever seeing that at the time. In my case the changes did not shatter my Faith but they did dent it severely. I remember walking out after Mass in about 1970 and having to blink away the tears I was so shocked.

Lynda said...

I often have to blink away tears after Masses in 2013. Often, everything about the priest's idiosyncratic behaviour screams that he knows not what he is offerIng.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...