Sunday 20 September 2009

A Letter to Minette Marrin of The Sunday Times



You can write to Minette Marrin and make known your displeasure at her mean-spirited column at
minettemarrin@minettemarin.com. Here's my letter. Nobody expects the Brightonian Inquisition!

Dear Ms Marrin

I have written a response to your article on my blog, That The Bones You Have Crushed May Thrill. Click the link to read it.

I would be thrilled if you would read it. By all means, comment on my analysis of your article on the Relics of St Therese of Lisieux. You and Matthew Parris seem awfully upset by the arrival of her relics and I think it may be a case of 'protesting too much'. Your distress at Catholic piety only lends more credence to the veracity of the Faith.

It was precisely the fact that Christ made people feel uncomfortable that He was crucified for our sakes. It was precisely the fact that the Apostles made people feel uncomfortable that they were martyred for His sake.

By all means, also, mention to your Times columnist colleague, Matthew Parris, that I have written a response to his article which was even more virulent in his prejudiced attitudes towards the Catholic Faith. I am organising a parish trip to Aylesford Priory on 10th October to venerate the Relics of St Therese. So far we have 15 people going from the parish of St Mary Magdalen, Brighton. Both you and Matthew Parris are welcome to come. I mean, why not give it a go? You and Matthew could write articles based on your experiences of Catholic Tradition, rather than your own private prejudice and fear, which appears, if you will forgive me for saying it, to be based not on authentic evidence, but "superstition".

Yours sincerely

Laurence England

No comments:

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...