Monday 28 September 2009

Brighton's House of Horrors


Wiston Clinic, Brighton

I was walking past Brighton's abortion clinic last week and as usual felt a shudder at what must daily go on within those walls. There is no Catholic presense there, largely, I imagine, because arrests would be swift even with a peaceful protest. I don't know whether anyone has ever held a peaceful vigil there. I know that images of aborted unborn children are not legal in this country and I always think that an image or Icon of the Blessed Virgin would be just as effective. Possibly vigils took place there years ago. Nowadays the local MP, David Leppar praises it as a place of cracking healthcare for women.

The reason I post on this was having read My Heart Was Restless blog post that...
'Bishop Aquila of North Dakota recently sent a letter to all Priests of his Diocese, asking them to participate in the 40 Days for Life campaign, which is a well established pro-life witness in the United States. The Bishop wrote: 'I will pray on the sidewalk in front of the abortion facility on Friday, September 25, at 11 a.m. and again on Respect Life Sunday when I lead a Eucharistic procession to the abortion facility, carrying our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament to the site of death for so many of His children.'

Outside to the right of the building, as you walk past, you can see a large electrical generator. I wonder why they need so much power? I can't imagine it is for lighting. Secondly, whenever I go past, I see three large blue and yellow bins stuffed with black bin liners. I don't know whether the contents are surgical equipment, general domestic rubbish or something much, much more tragic and horrifying.

I looked up at the window and to my surprise, for it was 12:30 in the morning, a nurse pulled the curtains away. I looked at my watch. 'Gosh,' I thought, 'It appears they work around the clock.' A look at the website indeed confirms that Wednesday they are open overnight, presumably for those 'difficult' procedures which might involve several hours recuperation.

Because my car is parked relatively nearby, I always feel ashamed when I walk past there and say and do nothing, and undoubtedly, that is exactly how I should feel.

13 comments:

Laura said...

But in the picture there seems to be a tall white cross, just in the doorway.

If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, you are there!

me said...

Slowly, say a Hail Mary every time you walk past.That will bring Our Lord and Our Lady's presence to the place and many children will receive the benefit of you praying for them,acknowledging their little lives.At least they will know that one human being noticed and regarded them,whilst on earth and I am sure they will be praying for you,from their home in heaven.

Physiocrat said...

There was indeed a pilgrimage made there about 20 years ago. It was led by Fr Mark Elvins and took place on 28 December, the Feast of the Holy Innocents.

Do ANY of the prospective candidates for Pavilion ward even have reservations about the wisdom and morality of allowing what is in effect abortion on demand?

And I wonder if there is a link between their laxness on this matter, their laxness in general probity and their failure in general perception in broader matters of policy?

Physiocrat said...

The generator is for when the mains go off. Abortion is not like having one's toenails clipped. There is some heavy surgery going on at times so they can't be left without electricity.

The yellow bags are for surgical waste ie "human remains".

Anonymous said...

All you ignorant people who have left emotive comments - until it happens to you, you will never know ...

anna said...

People you have not idea how a woman feel when her boufriend walks away of her and her childs life, thats why people have abortions because is not fair on the babies.so im guessing is ok for 14 years old to have babies when they are babies them self? so i saw this people out side the clinic last week again aboirtion and i wanted to tell them, DO YOU WANT TO KEEP MY BABY? i mean they are agains abortion so better keep all those unwanted babies i bet they can affort it and have time to take care of them instead of waiting outside the clinic wastin time, is a presonal decition to make we suppose to be free to do what ever we want with our bodies and life,no? u cant keep a baby is the child is goin to be unwanted and reject/unlove by his/her parents.

The Bones said...

Okay, so what about the other options.

What about bringing the baby to term and allowing those who cannot have children, the infertile, to adopt?

Better than just 'terminating' it. The baby has a right to live. It isn't the baby's fault that it has been conceived at an 'inappropriate' time.

Anonymous said...

from Baxter living nearby:

Its the women's choice Always, as you do not know, neither understand the reasons for the procedure. You speak out of ignorance to support your own petty morals, and talk about nothing all day. Besides its non of your business, so please get a life, or send water to the children that are thirsty. YES! Regards Baxter

melinda said...

I have only just discovered this place and seen it, although have driven past quite often. I am thinking of going and praying outside it one day, though I've never done this before and am a bit scared. But it is so sad t think of what goes on in there and no-one allowed to say a word to call people back from what they are doing.
Would anyone like to join me?

melinda said...

For those who say you don't know what it's like - I do know. That is why I am so against it, because the sadness and loss cannot be described. Who will sympathise with you when you have made "the right decision"? Because they would not help you and your child, the child's father, your parents, the adults around you. If they really helped you, the baby would be welcome. But in desperation you go to the clinic and they all tell you it's for the best. No it isn't, my baby would have had a life if I'd had more courage. I really feel for those girls, some of them their own mothers bring them in to have abortions. Where is the love in that? It is a sad life to be sure but we can try and not add to the sadness and despair.

Anonymous said...

initially my girlfriend wanted to my baby and i am very happy to have it too...But she's been discourage not to have it by her parents...due to some circumstances shes in and me too...up to this time i am having bad dreams about the idea of terminating it....i am sad but she's told me it's for best... i hope i can get over this guilt ...

Anonymous said...

i am devastated by this i can't cope knowing my unborn child will be aborted xxxxx

The Bones said...

Give her the number for Good Counsel Network and call them yourself also.

They can give both you and her help and advice and they will not pass judgment.

http://www.goodcounselnet.co.uk/

Tel: 0207 7231740

Get information from that website to help you. You will not be left abandoned, there are organisations who can help you in crisis. Every baby is a gift and blessing and brings JOY to life but every abortion leaves devastation to parents and children.

You are in my prayers.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...