Friday 22 May 2009

Gardens that Rock!



I was up bright and early today having contracted food poisoning from out of date sausages yesterday. I felt so awful that I didn't know whether to drive to the hospital or to Fr Ray for the Anointing of the Sick. It was 12am, so I'll bet he's glad I chose the hospital. I approached the reception grabbing my throbbing head (oo-er, missus) and told her insistently that I was a Catholic and that if I died please would they call my priest. I then told them it would be better if they called the priest before I died. As it was, I recovered in the time it took for me to wait to be seen. I still feel the worse for wear but think I am on the mend.

Anyway, so having got up so early I took a walk down to the beautiful Japanese rock garden on Preston Park. It was incredible. London Road is so depressing, grey, urban, deprived and full of pubs that I have inhabited so diligently for the past few years. It is only recently that I have been going for walks to Preston Park after I went with a friend.

At 6am, the sun was rising on Brighton (and the rest of the UK of course, one assumes) and the weather was sublime. The suns rays streaked through oak and horse chestnut trees in the park. The Rock Garden has gigantic Gunnera plants that line the pond which look like they could quite happily house your behind and take your weight. I didn't try. In the pond are a vast array of fish which the groundsman said later on are currently spawning. I thought they were stuck in the reeds and mossy stuff in the pond!

The Garden contains a foxglove tree or two - my favourite tree - and little early morning sparrows and blackbirds sang in the tree, while squirrels raced down the branches to the next tree. I sat on a rock in the pond and looked at the fishes, gold and grey which jump up and down doing their spawning and mating malarky.

'**** me,' I thought...'Why do I never come here?' It was like a little slice of Heaven early in the morning. Now I know why some people actually get up in the morning! Later on, joggers arrived and men and women walking their dogs. Well...I'm skint anyway, so I am going to have to change my lifestyle and keep out of the pubs. Still, at least there's something beautiful to get up and see.

I have a friend who is staying nearby at the moment who is banned from much of Brighton. London Road and much of Brighton is mayhem. He seems to be drinking a lot less now he is sited further out of town. It is nicer out of town. Perhaps they've done him a favour giving him this ASBO, as unjust as it is. He likes it out of the way where it is peaceful. He seems much happier there than on the London Road, but he's still awaiting a hostel place back in the Valley of Death in Brighton. It feels quite monastic in Preston Park. So much nature. I wouldn't mind camping out there for a day or two in the summer...I love camping! Anyway, just thought I'd share that morning tale. No giraffes though. I'm going to make a habit of going there in the mornings.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That garden is reputed to have been designed as a copy of the Chinese willow pattern used on plates etc, if my memory serves me well.

I used to live in Brighton a long, long time ago and often walked to school via Preston Park in the summer. It is a lovely park. Enjoy.........

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your food poisioning incident. Do hope you are feeling better. Maybe the fresh air and nature will help! Preston Park looks lovely. I'm lucky too, as where I live, I'm only a few minutes walk from being out on the fields and woods. Enjoy the weekend- hope the weather's good- maybe you'll spot some more odd cloud formations,;-) LOL!

berenike said...

:-)

I was under the impression that you're a gardener. I expect I read something on your blog that gave me that impression - rightly?

The Bones said...

Yes, I'm a gardener. But I'm lazy and overly socialble in high intensity urban spaces.

berenike said...

oooo! Wonderful! I'm about to give you the chance to know how doctors must feel all the time "I've had this pain in my left leg ..."

I've got this problem - a ground-floor flat in a 1950s development of small blocks/free-standing tenements, with lots of grass and trees in between. There is no fenced-off area around the buildings. It's lovely, except that people don't clean up after their dogs. So I get this waft of dog poo on warm days, which is not so nice. I was thinking of planting something decorative and prickly, or a variety of such, to keep dogs away from my building (a sort of ring-hedge). Any suggestions? We get down to -15 at least in winter, sometimes -30/35, warm summers, sandy soil, dryish weather, and the area is shaded by trees, though it's a dappled shade, not a heavy one. Any suggestions? :-)

Physiocrat said...

Prickly plants - roses eg rosa spinosissima, rosa rugosa, berberis stenophylla or thunbergii, pyracantha, rubus tricolor, chaenomeles japonica, but -15 will kill holly, anyway it is slow growning.

The Bones said...

Berberis yes. You can get some lovely varieties as well.

Holly as well - otherwise known as Ilex.

Well done Henry.

berenike said...

Wooooooo! Catholic plant advice! Thank you!

Not that I am going to be able to do anything till autumn, and then I may have no money, but I am one step forward! Thank you!

Funny, it never struck me till now that I haven't seen any holly, that I recall, around here. Hmmm.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...