Friday 17 April 2009

"Love Your Enemies..."



"...and pray for those who persecute you..."

But does this mean those with an apostolic mission should get this close to them?

According to BBC, the Cardinal has spoken of the rumours he is to become a Lord in his retirement from his position as Cardinal. "My predecessor was offered a place in the House of Lords and chose not to accept it and felt that he had a better voice, if you like, outside of Parliament by being a religious leader and there is a bit of me that would feel the same" [The wise, humble, sensible and holy bit?]

He added: "On the other hand, time moves on and there may be something to be said at this stage for someone like me - in retirement - to be part of the House of Lords to enable me to express my views, [please say views of the Church] the views of my church, [please say the views of the Church] on social and ethical issues [on the Government's latest assaults upon Christianity and overt persecution of the Church].

"I think that the prime minister wants to bring religious leaders into the House of Lords to make sure that their voice is heard [co-opted].

"That obviously wouldn't just include myself as a Roman Catholic but also the Chief Rabbi and a prominent Muslim perhaps, because he thinks that these kind of voices in public life have a value." [Sounds like BBC Radio 4's 'Thought for the Day']

Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor also explained that he had been able to speak to the prime minister whenever he needed to during his tenure.




He said: "If I want to speak to the prime minister I can speak to him, put it that way." [Hopefully, His Eminence tells him in no uncertain terms of the outrage of the whole Church at the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill, the Equality Act and a whole raft of legislation limiting liberty both religious and civil].

No comments:

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...